Thursday, September 18, 2008

Do you have a gallon of milk?

Then consider yourself lucky! We told Caleb yesterday at dinner that if he ate his peas, we'd go for ice cream after church. What were we thinking? We drove around trying to find any place open that had ice cream...fast food, grocery stores, any place! The grocery stores around here have limited hours, which would have been nice to know before we were trying to find stuff. We finally ended up at Target, and all the refrigerated foods were gone! They had a limit on how much milk you could buy (one per family), and there were only a handful of half gallons of skim milk left on the shelves. They did have some ice cream, too, so we got some of that as well. That's all Caleb really cared about!

It was CRAZY, let me tell you, trying to grab a half gallon of milk at Target at 8:30 on a Wednesday night. Kroger is opening at 9am and we need some groceries, so I'm going to get the kids out and try to find some. A couple of days ago they were limiting the number of people who could be in Wal-Mart and the grocery stores at one time, so people were waiting in line outside. We'll see if they're still doing that today.

Thankfully I picked up eggs at my parent's house on Tuesday before I came back because I have some birthday cakes to bake tomorrow!

Wish me luck trying to get some groceries!

7 comments:

Hol said...

Good luck Jenn! We haven't ventured out to the stores yet. Sunday night, out of necessity we picked up an 8 slice package of American cheese. We found it at a gas station (without gas) for *gulp* $3.58! Other stores still didn't have power. Those were the most expensive grilled cheese sandwiches we probably have ever eaten, but they tasted good!

I know we will need to get some staples soon, as we're out of laundry detergent, milk and down to the last few pieces of fruit. Not to mention lettuce, mayo, peanut butter, chicken (2 pieces left)...

Aggiema (Michelle) said...

Hang in there, this too shall pass. My Dad, Brother and several of my extended family still don't have electricity and probably won't for another week to week and a half. I had forgotten about sharing a birthday with Caleb. Happy Birthday Boys! Save me a piece of cake, I have a feeling the only way I am going to get one is if I bake it myself :)

Shalee said...

Oh the things we take for granted! I like it when God finds ways to nudge us into thankfulness, like loosing a job and finding that food is still on the shelves.

God will provide in all his ways, even if you have to wait in line...

Dana said...

I feel your milk pain. Way out in Katy, I had to go to several stores to find milk. I am in no way complaining because of everyone else hurting right now but I am constantly amazed at how far this storm continues to reach!!

LisaN said...

I just e-mailed you and asked if you were still at your parents' house, but I should have read your blog first. And not that I'm not sympathetic, but at least you have stores to shop in down there. :-) Although I can't complain because even though our options here are limited (ahem, ONE store that sells groceries), I have never had to go without milk. Pay $5+ a gallon for it, yes, but never go without.

Glad you guys are home safe!

John and Christy said...

So glad you & your house are ok! We got power back on Friday afternoon but since we had a generator it wasn't too bad. No damage to the house but we lost a lot of beautiful trees & will have to fix some fence. I hope the stores carry more milk, etc soon!

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

Hey Girl... thanks for finding me and I am so sorry to hear about the grocery store experience... but I wish I could say it is better here in Singapore... but no... we do have electricity but there are somethings that you want and you will never find them here... he he he... good ol blue bell is one of them. Your kids are precious and I love the box pictures. I hear you guys are coming here and we can not wait to have you near us... it would be great to hang out. Keep in touch and let me know if you ever need anything in preparation to come over. Look forward to catching up and yes I do remember you :-).



Reflecting Him


Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Karen Lewis

Check It Out:

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved