Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Modesty


Modesty is something I feel very strongly about. Jules at Everyday Mommy has started an online petition to get retailers to offer girls more modest clothing. She said, "Many retailers, marketing and PR firms review mommy blogs for trends and opinions. If we speak as one we may be able to effect change. " Just looking at what is available today for little girls is appalling. Some might think the shorts with writing across the rear end is "cute," but it just invites someone to look. The same goes for the t-shirts with "Drama Queen", "Sassy", "Man Eater" and the like emblazened across the chest. It saddens me that as my son gets older he can/will be taunted, even at church, by what some women and girls choose to wear. What's the mother of a boy supposed to do when girls dress immodestly, even at church?

Modesty is not just an issue for moms and dads of little girls. It's an issue for everyone. I do not have a daughter (I may or may not ever have one), but I am raising one little boy to be a man of God, so I wholeheartedly support this mission statement:

Moms & Dads for Modesty Mission Statement

  • As a Mom or Dad for Modesty I believe in common-sense modesty for girls and young women.
  • I believe in refraining from sexualizing our girls and young women.
  • I believe that it is unwise and unfair to taunt boys and young men by permitting my daughter(s) to dress in an immodest manner.
  • I believe that true beauty comes from within and I strive to teach my daughter(s) this truth.
  • I will loyally shop at retailers that provide girls' and young womens clothing that is modest, affordable and stylish.


I encourage you to head over to Everyday Mommy, read her post, and "sign" your support as well.

Here are what a few others are saying on the issue. I encourage you to read their thoughts as well, since they are mothers of little girls:

Shannon
Rabbit
Lindsey, Part One, Part Two

4 comments:

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Oh wow!! I am SO going to have to borrow this mission statement and write about it on my own blog. It's so very true and Jon and I are extremely dedicated to raising a modest little girl. You can dress fashionably without dressing like THAT. Argh! I'm going to sign the petition now.

jettybetty said...

I strongly support modesty for women.

It's not a new problem, however--when I was a teen--micro-mini's and hot pants were the rage! The way my dad handled me was he just threw away my indecent stuff while I wasn't looking!

It's hard--I actually don't have a lot of answers--I do think it's important to start with girls really young!

Emily said...

I just had my first child 10 months ago - a girl. I have been thinking about the future for her and really want her to be modest because I know what guys look at. I never thought about it from a mommy of a boy's prospective. Thank you for your blog. I am heading over to sign that petition.

Emily said...

Thanks for commenting!

Check out my newest posting. I posted how I weaned my little girl from breastfeeding. Hopefully it helps you.



Reflecting Him


Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Karen Lewis

Check It Out:

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved