Thursday, January 14, 2010

Verse One!

Updated to add: Anyone is free to join! Just jot down your verse here and remember to come back on the 30th for the next verse. You can go to this post to see the Introduction.

It's time to record our Scriptures for the Scripture Memory Team! I'll give you a little background as to why I chose my verse.

Two words that sum up my goals for 2010 are intention and contentment. I want to be intentional in all my relationships. My kids are not going to grow up knowing and loving God without intentional parents who teach them Truth. My marriage is not going to grow and remain strong without hard work and effort and planning and connecting. I cannot let my life just pass by and not work hard at maintaining and growing relationships.

The second word, contentment, speaks to a big part of my life. I want to be content where I am and not wish for anything more than God's given me (like to be at home in Texas with my family or a host of other things I tend to have "the grass is always greener" syndrome about!). While missing my family is fine, I want to be content and at peace always with where God has lead our family, whether it feels comfortable or not.

So, my first verse is from Proverbs 14: 30 NIV:

"A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones."

I encourage those of you who are participating to choose a short, one-verse Scripture this first time (unless you are proficient at Scripture memory). I also want to tell you to come here and record a new Scripture every time, even if you've not memorized the one before. This will help you to stay consistent, and you can work on all the Scriptures you've chosen. Just keep doing the thing and God will bless your efforts to be in His Word.

Now let's hear your Scriptures! Let us know which translation you've chosen as well.

Here's a link to Beth Moore's blog post where you can find tutorial videos with helpful tips for Scripture memory.

10 comments:

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

THis is awesome.. and I am very proud of you for doing this... your blog is an inspiration to so many... I like this verse too.

Stacey said...

Now fear the Lord and serve him with all faithfulness.
Joshua 24:14


I am going to add this to my blog and link back to yours. Is that ok?

Again thanks for doing this! I love how your invitation post talked about not getting caught up in the legalities. That is something I struggle with and probably the number one reason I didn't finish last year.

Stacey

Jenn said...

I am going to use your verse. It applies to what I am going through right now. I too have been suffering from "the grass is always greener" syndrome.

Melanie said...

"Trust in the Lord, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed" -Psalm 37:3

LisaN said...

I am using your verse, Jenn. It's one I need often! :-)

LisaN said...

And I am also adding this passage:

"Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men, for he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things."
-Psalm 107:8-9

I love you, Jennifer!

LisaN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gillian Unruh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gillian Unruh said...

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Rom 15:13

God kept showing me this verse several times toward the end of last year, so it's about time I memorized it!

Stacy said...

I'm in! Thanks for posting about this, Jennifer. Here's my verse:

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.



Reflecting Him


Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Karen Lewis

Check It Out:

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved