Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Trip to the Library (or What Was I Thinking!)

This morning, after laying on the couch for an unknown amount of time trying to recover from a poor night's sleep, I told Caleb it was time to go to the library. I needed to pick up a couple of books on preparing for a c-section that I had requested, and I wanted to get him a few books as well. "Let's go read some books at the library!!" We were both excited at the prospect of getting out of the house and staying in the air-conditioning.

I had visions of reading and sitting and quietness and reading and bonding and reading in my head as we drove the few miles to the library. It must be the pregnancy-induced mental craziness that made me think any of those things might happen. Anyone who's spent, oh, two seconds with my almost 22-month-old could have given me a big whack on the forehead for even envisioning such peace and tranquility.

So.

I underestimated the pandemonium that is the children's section of the library before noon in the middle of the summer. I'm so naive.

I spent the 30 or so minutes we were at the library chasing Caleb and trying to keep all the books on the shelves on the shelves. The three most exciting things to him were 1) the balloon behind the desk (oh.the.obsession.with.balloons!!), 2) the soccer ball sitting atop of the shelf of sports books, and 3) the turtle pillows in the back corner. When we found the turtle pillows, I was just glad to have a moment where I wasn't trying to pry him off a shelf or run faster than him to prevent any mishaps. You can see that the visions of reading and bonding and peace were dismissed as soon as we opened the library door.

I tried to walk him back over to the board books and attemp to find a few books that would interest him, but he would have no part of that. He wanted to touch all the babies and play with the toys other kids were playing with.

I decided that was enough, um, reading, and quickly grabbed a Thomas train book on our way to the reservation shelves. I found the two books I had requested and then attempted to wrangle Caleb into STANDING.IN.LINE for 5 or 50 minutes (what's the difference when you're almost two years old?).

I'll just hold to the fact that it's good for him to even be exposed to the library, right?

Reading? Maybe another day.

9 comments:

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Soon, my friend, someday soon, may you have that peaceful afternoon at the library! =)

Melissa said...

I tried to push CJ into the library experience too young, too. I was hoping she would become as addicted as I am...but alas, it didn't work. As Jenn said, it will be here soon enough!

Stephanie said...

Jenn, I feel your pain! I, too, long for a nice relaxing trip to the library ... it hasn't happened yet. :)

Lori said...

Uggg sounds like my experience when my boys were younger...hmm maybe that is why I have not been to the library in YEARS. ;)

Anonymous said...

he he he...you are brave. Though if our library was open near us right now, I'd be doing the same thing with high hopes. Someday, they say, the peace and quiet will come. I somehow don't think it's anytime soon.

Marcia said...

It could be worse. Someone I know (who will remain nameless) was recently checking out at the library with her 5 and almost 2 year olds. She said to the 5 year old "Where's your sister?". He replied, "She's outside on the sidewalk." Thankfully a kind mom had caught the 2 year old before she could get any farther away.

The Blakes said...

Thanks for your encouragment...the Thai people ARE a very sweet and wonderful people and I'm blessed to be serving our God here :) What was your favorite Thai dish?

The Blakes said...

I went with my sister-in-law and her son (2 yrs old) and my son (4 years old) to the library once and she had a very similar experience...

I know it's possible to have a positive experience at the library with your 2 year old...but HOW?!??! I don't have to worry about that now...CUZ...well, there are no libraries in Thailand...well, I'm sure there are a few just no books in English. HA!

I hope your next trip goes better. I bet it will only get better with more trips - it won't be so awe inspiring after a few trips. Then maybe he'll be able to focus on a book and some awesome bonding time.

Thanks for sharing!

John and Christy said...

Wow! Sounds like quite the adventure. I admire your patience.



Reflecting Him


Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Karen Lewis

Check It Out:

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved